I'm not a film critic, because I’m not a very eloquent person. I just savour tender moments, the measured movements of every character, and enthralling background harmony every time a sensitive scene is demonstrated. But this time i am obliged to express myself on one of the best films I’ve seen in years..
I seldom cry at movies. And can I please tell you, these are movies with great, moving stories with unusual characters..I envy directors that can create wonderful movies like that.. One of the most compelling films that I have ever seen was that of a Brazilian film- Central Station- directed by Walter Salles.
I ‘m a great fan of foreign language films. One of the great things about foreign films in general is the glimpse that they give you into another culture and the difficult situations that face people. In Central Station, we experience the tragedy of a homeless and helpless boy in Brazil and the absolute lack of assistance in place for him. The actions of the people involved in this situation reflect the different set of values that exist in their culture.
Few film actors can bring a particular movie to life with superb and realistic acting and Dora (Fernanda Montenegro) did just that. A lonely teacher who earns her living by writing for illiterate people in a Brazilian train station, reminiscent of a our LRT station in Monumento during peak hours. The difference is that theirs is a more dilapidated looking. And of course, most Filipinos know how to read and write so that writing for someone to make a living is out of the question . The protagonist is unusual also. A boy who allegedly earns shoe shining before being discovered to act in this film. Awesome! Josue was left all alone when his mother died in the same train station where Dora do her usual “work.” The two characters who had an initial antagonism of each other eventually learned that they must put up with each other in order to survive. The boy was in search of his father, while Dora trying to discover herself. The film will take you on a road trip-a two hours bus drive towards exotic locations in Brazilian rural areas. Just like life. You dream, hope, and strive hard until you achieve success. In real life when you reach the top after a very long and adventures, what you see is as vivid and powerful a climax. You reminisce the past and then you cry…just like in the movies.
And then you hope the film would never end….
I seldom cry at movies. And can I please tell you, these are movies with great, moving stories with unusual characters..I envy directors that can create wonderful movies like that.. One of the most compelling films that I have ever seen was that of a Brazilian film- Central Station- directed by Walter Salles.
I ‘m a great fan of foreign language films. One of the great things about foreign films in general is the glimpse that they give you into another culture and the difficult situations that face people. In Central Station, we experience the tragedy of a homeless and helpless boy in Brazil and the absolute lack of assistance in place for him. The actions of the people involved in this situation reflect the different set of values that exist in their culture.
Few film actors can bring a particular movie to life with superb and realistic acting and Dora (Fernanda Montenegro) did just that. A lonely teacher who earns her living by writing for illiterate people in a Brazilian train station, reminiscent of a our LRT station in Monumento during peak hours. The difference is that theirs is a more dilapidated looking. And of course, most Filipinos know how to read and write so that writing for someone to make a living is out of the question . The protagonist is unusual also. A boy who allegedly earns shoe shining before being discovered to act in this film. Awesome! Josue was left all alone when his mother died in the same train station where Dora do her usual “work.” The two characters who had an initial antagonism of each other eventually learned that they must put up with each other in order to survive. The boy was in search of his father, while Dora trying to discover herself. The film will take you on a road trip-a two hours bus drive towards exotic locations in Brazilian rural areas. Just like life. You dream, hope, and strive hard until you achieve success. In real life when you reach the top after a very long and adventures, what you see is as vivid and powerful a climax. You reminisce the past and then you cry…just like in the movies.
And then you hope the film would never end….






No comments:
Post a Comment