Thursday, August 9, 2007

On Breastfeeding Week

There are two reasons to rejoice for advocates of breastfeeding.
First, it was celebrated last month and I would like to commend the Department of Health for emphasizing breastfeeding as part of the Nutrition month celebration for the month of July. Breasfeeding is a "give-away". It should not be questioned but rather promoted all the time.. Their theme this year, "Breastfeeding panatilihin, dagdagan ng wastong pagkain".


I have already highlighted in one of my posts the importance of breastfeeding in this region. Though there's still difficulty in disseminating information because there are several islands in the Tawi-Tawi and Sulu archipelago that are inaccessible by todays' modern means of communication and transportation. I believe there's still few signals in Jolo for text messaging to be effective..


The second reason,the Department of Social Welfare and Development and UNICEF spearheaded the “Sabay-Sabay Sumususo sa Nanay ,"a strategy to promote breastfeeding to set a new world record for simultaneous breastfeeding in several areas of the country. This is to correct the advertising claims that artifical milk formula is better than breastmilk..


Poor Filipinos are easy victims by these advertising mis-information . A Promil kid? Ehhwww!


Excuse me. I was breastfed until 2 years old. And i would like to thank my mother for that!

No comments:

About Me

zamboanga city, Philippines