Monday, July 2, 2007

Disclosure:Camilo, 81/M from Siocon


Is it my imagination when I saw a developing mist from his eyes?
I just told him my findings from his recent bone marrow aspiration.. he remained silent during the conversation. I know he was trying to evade this very sensitive issues but he seems to understand everything what i said. I saw sadness there. At his age now, he seemed to have very strong hope to live.

Of course he want to live, he had very good reasons to: his loving wife, always supportive, doesnt leave his side...then his family- his sons, daughters and grandchildren...They are all his strength..

Travelling eight hours by bus from their place to come over and visit me for his scheduled follow up every two weeks..He had to disregard exhaustion, dizziness and muscle pains from that long hours of travel just to be treated.

That is why i love this patient. He was my oldest patient with ALL. i know its futile to offer treatment, but when i first saw that look of hope, i can't deny him that chance. True enough, when i started giving his chemo drug, he became transfusion-free for more than three months. A great feat for a patient like him. He maintained normal counts not until now when i discovered what's seen on the peripherals is not reflective of the marrow pictures..

I offered some options, because i know palliative care is very important. i may not provide cure. but i may provide comfort and care..

I'll wait for their decisions...
Hopefully...

No comments:

About Me

zamboanga city, Philippines